Monday, November 30, 2009

Team Tobin

Me, Brett, Brian

Brett (with his new helmet), Shane, Me



About a month ago I was riding with my friend, Brian, when he told me about two boys who were hit while finishing up a training ride. Shane Tobin and Brett Hensinger were about a mile from their house when a car struck them from behind. The driver drove away without seeing if the boys were okay, I guess he thought he hit a deer (that’s what he told the police after they caught him). Both boys had some pretty serious injuries. Shane is paralyzed from the waist down and Brett had some broken bones and some serious road rash. I got an email this week that said Shane took 3 steps which is HUGE!! Their families hosted a benefit dinner/silent auction which I was fortunate enough to be able to attend. It was a fantastic evening filled with the local triathlon family getting together to show their support for Shane and Brett. A lot of amazing things happened, both boys got new bikes and were made members of the HFP racing team! I was able to give the boys Rudy Project helmets and sunglasses and Textile Solutions transition towels which were all donated by USAT. Shane and Brett both were escatic and smiling the rest of the evening. They both plan on doing my hometown race, The Flag City Multisport Celebration, in June as their first race back from the accident. I was extremely impressed by Shane and Brett’s determination and motivation to get back to racing. They are truly inspirational! I am excited to watch them race in June! If you want to support them or learn more visit their website http://teamtobin.net/.







1 comment:

  1. Jennifer, This is a great posting! It is neat to see how helping others during a tough time can be inspiring for them and you!
    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete